The Onion CEO Steve Hannah posted an apologyon behalf of the staff members who sent a tweet targeting Oscar nominee Quvenzhané Wallis, 9. But the mea culpa came hours after the offensive tweet and after The Onion posted a tweet this morning on an unrelated subject, suggesting that the satirical publication had chosen to ignore complaints.
Twitter exploded in rage after the tweet at 11:42 p.m. Sunday. "Everyone else seems afraid to say it, but that Quvenzhané Wallis is kind of a (four-letter word that begins with C), right?" it read.
It was unclear what prompted the tweet.
Almost immediately, furious responses began to fly. Almost immediately, the tweet was taken down, but it didn't matter. By 1 a.m. ET today, dozens of tweets per second were being posted, virtually all of them expressing contempt, incredulity or outrage.
Tweeters demanded that The Onion apologize.
Tweeters demanded followers unfollow the magazine's Twitter feed, while others said that wasn't enough. The Twitterverse was being urged to make calls, send e-mails and boycott the magazine in protest.
"Not that they would care, but I have no plans of ever following @theonion for their HORRIFIC tweet about a nine year old Oscar nominee," tweeted Oscar-winning actress Marlee Matlin.
The Onion is notorious for its cutting satire, but it's usually at least a little funny. But, as responding tweets kept repeating, this remark wasn't funny.
Amber Rose and Wiz Khalifa’s first child, Sebastien “The Bash” Taylor Thomaz was born last Thursday (February 21) and Wiz took to Twitter to announce the news immediately. Since then fans and celebrity pals have sent their congratulations and now 50 Cent has some advice for Wiz on fatherhood.
Kanye West and Kim Kardashian are taking it all off for a steamy magazine cover together. The rapper and his baby mama-to-be shed their clothes for French magazine L’Officiel Hommesand their upcoming issue. The cover photo quickly spread like wildfire online today and has a shirtless Kanye passionately embracing Kim.
Over the weekend, rumors surfaced that the two are having a baby girl. "They're over the moon!" a source close to Kardashian and West told US Weekly of the new info, adding, "Kanye always wanted a girl." Additional reports noted that Kim is thrilled about having a daughter. "Kim has always dreamed of having a little girl and now she has her wish! Everyone is so excited. Now it’s pink, pink, pink!” KimYe's baby is due in July.
February 15, 2013 may have started out as one of the strangest days in recent history. Many woke up this morning to video and news of a large Meteor crashing through the Earth's atmosphere over Russia, causing a massive flash, shock waves, broken windows and at least 700 injuries.
This happens to occur on the very same day that the asteroid DA-14 comes just 17,200 miles away from Earth- an encounter than scientests call "too close for comfort". But do not worry. NASA has reassured everyone that the DA-14 asteroid is not quite on course to impact the Earth although it is coming closer than some of the stationed satellites out there.
NASA also says that the meteor and asteroid are an unrelated "cosmic coincidence".
NASA Television will provide commentary starting at 2 p.m. EST (11 a.m. PST) on Friday, Feb. 15, during the close, but safe, flyby of a small near-Earth asteroid named 2012 DA14. NASA places a high priority on tracking asteroids and protecting our home planet from them. This flyby will provide a unique opportunity for researchers to study a near-Earth object up close.
The half-hour broadcast from NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in Pasadena, Calif., will incorporate real-time animation to show the location of the asteroid in relation to Earth, along with live or near real-time views of the asteroid from observatories in Australia, weather permitting.
At the time of its closest approach to Earth at approximately 2:25 p.m. EST (11:25 a.m. PST/ 19:25 UTC), the asteroid will be about 17,150 miles (27,600 kilometers) above Earth's surface.
The commentary will be available via NASA TV and streamed live online at:
Here is a no brainer, according to a few recent studies Valentine’s Day can be very stressful no matter what your relationship status is. For singleshowever, Cupid’s big day can be uniquely maddening. So if you are uncoupled this year, don’t feel left out, you can still celebrate Feb 14th on your own terms by treating yourself to the finer things in life.
1. Buy yourself flowers. Flowers not only brighten up a room, but can brighten up your day so do it now for yourself
2. Take yourself out — yes, even on busy Valentine’s Day evening. It might be scary at first to go into a restaurant alone, but it also takes a huge amount of confidence, and confidence is sexy. People are attracted to those who exude confidence, so you never know — you just might meet someone while you’re out there. This tip works for both men and women — so ladies, don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone.
3. Eat dessert for breakfast. If you want to reward yourself or really feel like you’re treating yourself to something special, opt for starting your day with a cupcake or something equally sweet. You may not want to make it habit, but every once in awhile it’s fun.
4. Get lost. Slow your life down a bit, breathe and have an adventure by yourself. Take the long way home, or get lost on purpose. Take a road trip or even go abroad on your own. There’s freedom in the wild, and a thrill when you find your way home again — both literally and metaphorically.
5. Spa day. May sound relatively cliche, but a spa day either alone or with friends is a surefire way to feel truly pampered on Valentine’s Day. It will also do wonders for your complexion. Or the smoothness of your skin. Or your gnarly feet. And gentlemen, you should absolutely indulge in this one, too. Do you know what love is? A 90-minute Swedish massage.
6. Do something totally new with your hair. Change is a good thing! Look at how often Madonna has reinvented herself over the last few decades. Don’t be afraid to take a risk with your looks and try something new — even if it means finally dying your hair that shade of red you’ve wanted to try since you were 13 years old.
7. Drink champagne, or heck even prosecco can make anyone feel like they’re living the good life. Especially if you have fancy champagne glasses to go with the sparkly beverage.
8. Take a class. Perhaps you’ve wanted to take a class in French cooking or finally do some kickboxing. Now is the time to expand your interests and your repertoire of knowledge.
9. Bubble baths are your friends. Sure bubble baths with a significant other are a great experience, but think of all that space to yourself in the tub! Once you embrace just how awesome it is to light up some candles and take a bubble bath solo, you’ll make it a weekly ritual.
10. Buy new lingerie and/or sheets. Satin sheets and lacy underthings are intimate items that can make you feel sexy even if you’re not seeing anyone. Just because you’re single doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be wearing the cutest low-rise hip-hugger undies on the block.
Have additional ideas on how to treat yourself this Valentine’s Day? Share in the comments below.
Originally posted on http://blog.chemistry.com/2012/02/07/10-great-things-for-singles-to-do-on-valentines-day/
Since the 31-year-old superstar took the stage at the Superdome there has been some chatter that along wither her sexy dance moves, she debuted a new nose. There's no denying that Beyonce looks quite different from when she started out, and while growing up has something to do with it, it's rare that the tip of of one's nose takes on the brunt of the changes.
“It’s extremely likely she’s had a rhinoplasty,” Dr. Jeffery Spiegel, a board-certified plastic surgeon who has not treated the singer, told Hollywood Life. “I think she has had her nose narrowed and the tip refined. I do this same procedure regularly. She looks gorgeous and the surgeon did an excellent job,” he says.
It's hard to refute the photographic evidence, and if you look over a timeline of her photos it seems obvious that Beyonce had some work done back in '04, and has possibly just recently undergone more surgery to refine her nose once again.
Now, we know you're thinking that the "Halo" singer's nose didn't look quite so different when she sang the national anthem at the inaugeration ceremony just a few weeks ago. But consider that ap2It notes that the recovery time for a secondary rhinoplasty surgery can be as little as a week to 10 days, making it "absolutely feasible" that Beyonce could have had the procedure done prior to the ingauration, and that some swelling had not entirely dissipated since that portion of the recovery can take up to two months.
With all that in mind it's up to you decide if Beyonce debuted a new nose, or if she has a makeup artist who is really good at contouring.
See story at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/07/beyonce-nose-job_n_2636038.html
Jay-Z's Roc Nation management roster is getting bigger and bigger. Today, it was announced that Jay has signed Aussie pop star Kylie Minogue. The news was broken on a blog post on his Life + Times blog.
“Roc Nation would like to welcome Aussie singer, recording artist, songwriter, actress and designer Kylie Minogue to the family. In a career now spanning 25 years, Kylie has released 11 studio albums, two live CDs, eight live concert DVDs, a greatest hits double album, and multiple video packages. She has released over 50 hit singles worldwide, including the Grammy-winning Come Into My World, and has sold more than 68 million albums worldwide. Needless to say, we’re excited to have Kylie join the Roc fam.”
"Chocolate" by Kylie Minogue
Prior to this, Jay-Z has signed acts ranging from Rihanna and J. Cole to Wale and Meek Mill. Just last week, Roc Nation signed legendary producer Timbaland to the roster.
Chris Brown returned to court yesterday to attend a probation-violation violation stemming from his 2009 assault (all in the midst of this Frank Ocean controversy) and Rihanna was by his side to show her support.
Photos were captured of the two stars leaving the courtroom together, along with Brown's mother, and inside Rih apparently even blew a kiss to wish him good luck. In the past couple of weeks Brown has been complaining about being victimized by the media, in the aftermath of his fallout with Frank Ocean, but at least he has Rihanna's support.
In addition to standing by his side, her latest tweets have clearly been in support of him as well. In addition to retweeting some spiritual messages ("Listen to your own voice, your own soul, too many people listen to the noise of the world, instead of themselves") she also added a few words from Pac's classic single "Keep Ya Head Up," writing, "And even though ya fed up, ya gotta keep ya head up."
During yesterday's hearing Brown's lawyer presented evidence to defend his client against a 19-page report released on Tuesday which claimed that Chris Brown did not complete his 180 days of community labor in connection with his 2009 plea deal to felony assault on Rihanna.
Ready to see your favorite artists covered head-to-toe at this Sunday's Grammy Awards? According to ABC News, CBS has issued a memo outlining wardrobe guidelines for performers and presenters.
Per Deadline, the rules heavily limit skin. "Please be sure that buttocks and female breasts are adequately covered. Thong type costumes are problematic," the memo states. Please avoid exposing bare flesh under curves of the buttocks and buttock crack. Bare sides or under curvature of the breasts is also problematic."
If that wasn't enough, logos and language are also being censored. "Please avoid commercial identification of actual brand name products on T-shirts. Foreign language on wardrobe will need to be cleared. OBSCENITY OR PARTIALLY SEEN OBSCENITY ON WARDROBE IS UNACCEPTABLE FOR BROADCAST. "
The Grammys have been a hub for controversial looks in the past. In 2000, Jennifer Lopez wore her famous, fully-exposed Versace gown while Pink rocked a nude bodysuit in 2010. Will performers like Rihanna adhere to the wardrobe guidelines? Tune in to find out.