A lawyer for Meek Mill says that two requests for emergency hearings for the rapper have been denied.
It appears that Philly rapper Meek Mill will remain in jail until at least September. According to a news report from Philly.com, one of the Maybach Music Group musician’s lawyers, Christopher Warren, requested an emergency hearing, which was later rejected by the judge who sentenced Meek.
Warren revealed to Philly.com that he’s unaware of why exactly the rapper was jailed in the first place.
"All I'm asking for is a hearing to learn why [his jailing] is constitutional and they won't even give me that," Warren said.
Although Warren’s requests were turned down, the lawyer says he now plans on filing a writ of mandamus. The writ of mandamus is an order, which asks that a higher court demand that the judge in the matter, Judge Genece Brinkley, hold an emergency hearing for Meek.
"The last thing I want to do is go running to another judge to tell another judge what to do. But we have no choice," the lawyer said.
Warren plans on filing the order on Monday (July 21).
Meek Mill was arrested earlier this month over what was reportedly his behavior while on probation, he previously posed with a gun in a picture posted on Instagram, and was sentenced to three to six months in jail.
Days after Meek’s arrest, Maybach Music Group founder Rick Ross issued a statement on the matter.
“Yesterday, my brother, Meek Mill ran into some unfortunate legal issues,” Ross said in the second half of his statement. “It happens. However, his team, our team, will continue to execute Meek’s plan as close to schedule as possible. His album is coming. We ask that the fans and the media continue to support him and his music during this time. He’ll be home soon. ‘Dreams Are Worth More Than Money’, and family is worth more than Everything. MMG FOR LIFE.”